Thursday, March 7, 2013

Off the top of my head - nothing

You know the feeling when you have a song in your head that you can’t stop singing? Sometimes it’s an entire song, sometimes it’s only the five words you remember, and possibly they’re words that belong, but not necessarily? Or you have that catch-phrase to a commercial you watched when you were seven that you haven’t seen in decades. “He likes it, hey Mikey!” 

Multiply that by 9 and add a side of ranch. Ranch keeps me coming back for more.
I am suddenly wide awake at 3:30am with an unfinished sentence in my head that I just can't get rid of it because I can’t fill in the unfinished part... the blank at the end... and I'm not falling back asleep because of it.  At least when I'm singing that song, I can sing it, I can sing ACTUAL words that finish (with a final punctuation so it's not left dangling), and eventually pass it off to the first or next person that walks by. I’ve done it; I’ve done it purposely and I’ve done it by accident. Either way, I’ve done it. What a very stupid blanka ridiculous black hole of a stupid blank
“My daughter dispelled the myth that _____________.”

Besides the fact that I DON’T KNOW WHERE THIS SENTENCE CAME FROM, I can’t put a word in this blank. And it’s not that I’m trying for a perfect word, or a crafty word, or even a REAL word. I just can’t put any word… not a single word, not a group of words. Jesus H. Christ. I can’t cheat at it, either. I tried changing myth to belief. I tried pawning the responsibility off on someone else, too, by changing daughter to John, Joe, Jack and Mary. I even tried real people like Lynnette (from work), Brandy (from my apartment’s leasing office), and Laura (tomorrow’s Happy Hour partner). It doesn’t work. Nothing works. I’m really putting a lot of work into this. I’m trying to make myself believe that the sentence doesn’t have to make sense, but that’s so not true. I mean really, come on, it’s me we’re talking about. It absolutely has to make sense and I just want to cry because I have no idea why . This is way too complicated. If I put an actual myth to the sentence, it should make it easier, right, but at 3:30 am, I don’t know any myths (and at 3:30 am, my imagination is sleeping – pssh – so I can’t make one up). If I had my thesaurus, I might have a shot, but I can't find it. There's only two places it can be - in the closet, or not in the closet. Are pot-smokers thieves? I swear if my pot smoking neighbors stole it, I'm gonna be pissed when I'm awake. It's pretty valuable to me. Probably the most valuable thing in the apartment, other than my borrowed day bed. Without my borrowed day bed I'd be sleeping on the floor, and we all know something (or someone) has died a most probable and untimely death on the floor and the desacrated remains (not the word I want to use, but without my thesaurus we're all stuck) resonates several inches above the carpet. *shiver* *making the sign of the cross* *oh, right, not believing in God*

I had great intentions when I went to sleep. Huge intentions. I had my dream laid out. I knew who it was about, and I promise there were no blanks (or myths, or daughters) involved. I’m pretty sure I wasn’t trying to dispel anything either. (Or maybe I was… that would be an awesome dream, and I'm picturing a cape...)

“My daughter dispelled the myth that _____________.”
“…. Sleep is necessary.”
“…. Vocabulary is important.”
“…. Peaches grow on trees.”

OH. Done.  Cool.                                                         
Now, "My thesaurus is _______________.

No comments:

Post a Comment