Thursday, August 9, 2012

Two Inches of Spite

I'm dating an educated man. Know what that means for me? It means I never win arguments...

This past weekend, the man and I were suffering through a moment of "you're annoying me/no I'm not, you're annoying me" when it dawned on me, he really is annoying me!

I'm not sure I remember how the arguing started (of course I do), but I remember him smiling (when he shouldn't have been), nodding his head (as he shouldn't have done) and moving the living room furniture around so that he could perform his victory dance (which he didn't deserve).

I also remember thinking "we need cable." PBS and two Spanish channels just doesn't cut it when you make that dramatic move to prove "I'm not listening to you, La La La."

For the next 10 minutes, I sulked.

For the rest of the night, I fantasized. Little did I appreciate, at the time, that my mind is an instrument of great power; a weapon more powerful and accurate than a pellet gun shooting cans and cardboard boxes lined up against a brick wall for target practice and execution. Can you see the cans spinning out in agony? I held that power, not in the form of a gun, but my fantasies were just as deadly.

The next day, I visited the hairdresser.

In the words of my good friend, Winnie, "...all guys like long hair..." !

No comments:

Post a Comment